Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Reading through the Bible- Day 29 S.O.A.P.

S(cripture)- 1 Samuel 16:7

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."


O(bservation)- We are all prone to judging others by outward appearance, appearance doesn't reveal what people are really like or what their value is.


A(pplication)- I SO needed this verse today. This morning I was talking to another mom who appeared to have it all, and have it all together. She was beautiful, thin, well dressed, had adorable children, was wealthy, had a nice car, etc. I am so embarrassed to admit that I had a little pity party in my head. I wished I was more like her. It just seemed so effortless for her. As I sat admiring her perfect manicure I found myself hiding my peeling fingernail polish. In my head she had it all. Have I mentioned I DON'T EVEN KNOW THIS PERSON!? Her "all" made my "all I need" look a lot less shiny. I know in my heart that God has provided and I am blessed beyond measure. (I feel so ungrateful for even having these thoughts, but I have a feeling that I’m not the only girl who measures herself against others.) The devil loves to tell me that I'm not "enough". I am so thankful that my beautiful, merciful Savior reminds me that I am enough- I am HIS and HE looks at my heart.


P(rayer)- Lord, Forgive me when I’m selfish and covet. Give me a thankful heart. May I grow in wisdom, knowledge and grace so that I begin to see things (and people) as you see them. May I focus more on the development of my heart. Thank you that I am “enough”, not because of anything I have done- but because of your son.


Today’s SOAP reminded me of this blog post. I know you won’t regret reading it.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so, you know what's funny? You're application of this is something I struggle with all the time! And about YOU! You are such a wonderful mommy, friend, wife, and person all around. Just thought you should know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, while I am completely flattered I have know idea how this is possible. You know me...the good, the bad and the UGLY. Seriously. I had to read this twice because I thought for sure I misread. I know what you need, a day with me. We'll have a blast but you will be much less impressed! ;)
    Oh, and for the record, I am inspired by you often.

    ReplyDelete