Friday, January 14, 2011

Day Four

How's it going? Today's day four so we only have one day left of reading this week (unless you've already used a "grace day", which is fine). After this week we will be 1/18th of the way through the bible, yippee! You have been in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that you are doing well and reaching out to your accountability partner for encouragement. Isn’t it amazing how many stories we have covered so far?! I know some of it is hard to understand (and stomach) like Lot saying “please take my virgin daughters but leave my guests alone” and later his daughters getting him drunk so that they could…well, you know (it’s even hard to type). At times like these I am glad that my bible has a commentary at the bottom that offers further explanation.

I love using the suggestion from momstoolbox.com! Journaling using the acrostic SOAP has really helped me to apply my readings. Here was my “Aha moment!” from yesterday’s reading:

S- Genesis 39:21 “But the LORD was with Joseph in the prison and showed him his faithful love. And the LORD made Joseph a favorite with the prison warden.”

O- Even in life’s most difficult moments God is there shining a light into our present darkness. Despite life’s circumstances, God can bring good.

A- Joseph didn’t lay in the corner of his cell in the fetal position crying because he was wrongly accused, had went through tragedy after tragedy, or felt abandoned by God. He made the best of his terrible circumstances and God used and blessed him again and again. What a lesson! I must remember- even in the worst moments- that the Lord is with me, showing me his faithful love.

P- El-Shaddai, Thank you for your faithful love. I am SO undeserving. Thank you for walking beside me even in times that I behave as if I don’t know you. May I work each day to learn to love as you love.

For those of you who I’ll see Tuesday, I can’t wait! I feel as though we are part of something beyond our comprehension. Keep notes of anything that you’d like to discuss with the group.

Please persevere through the difficult readings, you will be so glad you did!

3 comments:

  1. i am really enjoying it so far! some of the stuff is hard to think about! ben & i were talking about Lot last night and i said the same thing!! i have to say, i am reading it like a novel and i do not want to take 2 days off!! it is like sitting down with a really good book and staying up all night to finish it! i know i cant finish it all in a few days, but i really just want to keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying it so far too! I read 6 chapters too far last night just because I was so interested in it ( I knew what was coming but just had to read it!). I'll admit I'm not as fast as a reader...I keep thinking about whne you said it took you 32 minutes and when it takes me about 50 I feel like the slow kid in class! 50 minutes or not, I'm proud to have kept up so far (LOL 4 whole days)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's word is exciting, I agree! Shelley, keep going. I don't see a problem in being a day or two ahead. That way when chaos strikes (and let's face it with three children...it will strike) you'll have extra "grace days". Kendall, Six extra chapters...go you! Some days take me longer too, don't feel bad. You girls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete