Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day One

Today is day one of our journey through the bible in eighteen weeks. I just finished today's reading and am so excited to begin this journey through God's word! He has so many things to reveal to us and I am honored to be reading with you.

Amy at http://www.momstoolbox.com offers some great suggestions for making our reading easier to apply to our daily lives. I love her SOAP idea!

Here's her explanation, and here's my SOAP for Day 1:


S: Scripture- Genesis 16 1-2

1Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar; 2 so she said to Abram, “The LORD has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”Abram agreed to what Sarai said.


O: Observation- Even when we think God has forgotten His promises and doesn't recognize our heart's desires, he calls us to trust and wait. (It's amazing to me that Abraham waited twenty-five years for the fulfillment of the promise. I can only imagine how this story would sound if I was the one expected to believe and wait in expectation for twenty-five years!)


A: Application-Trust in God's promises and stop taking matters into my own hands because He isn't working on my timeline. In my impatience, I often take matters into my own hands (like Abram and Sarai did with Hagar). This often creates chaos and I fear may even delay God's miracle.


P: Prayer- Father, forgive my lack of patience and belief. Strengthen me as I wait on you. I know that the plans you have for me far exceed my own. Thank you for loving me in spite of my lack of patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment